[LINK] [PRIVACY] SMH: 'Social media exploitation is gravest risk'

Fred Pilcher fpilcher at netspeed.com.au
Mon Mar 5 15:10:55 AEDT 2012

On 05/03/12 10:04, Jan Whitaker wrote:
> Good letter, Stephen.

Indeed (excepting the abominable Americanism "obligated").

> Problem: 'we' have no ability to enforce anything.

Aye, there's the rub. Law without strong and effective enforcement is
arguably worse than no law at all, because it gives us a false sense of
security. Woeful, as you say, Jan - a classic case of being seen to be
doing something without actually doing anything at all.

You could argue that it's "our" (in the royal sense) fault because we
don't demand enforcement, but shouldn't have to, should we. As for the
"there's not much we can do" argument, the Europeans seem to be doing
quite a lot to enforce their privacy laws.

Fred