[LINK] anyone reading the new Global Mail?

Ash Nallawalla ash at melbpc.org.au
Sun Mar 11 18:21:05 AEDT 2012

I wasn't even aware of the old Global Mail.

On a 24-inch monitor and Win7+FF10 I have to scroll sideways to read a whole
article. There are print-like "columns". The design choice isn't accidental,
but there are two reasons why I won't be revisiting it regularly, if at all:

1. Bad layout, which makes it hard to read. The word Subscribe doesn't
render fully even when my browser is full-screen.

2. Random nature of topics, which are mostly opinion pieces.

It's like reading an interesting print publication in a doctor's surgery but
it does not tempt you to seek it out elsewhere.

The .org domain is OK for a global audience, but given the lack of SEO
awareness from its producers, it doesn't matter what domain they used. I
suspect that Facebook likes will be their primary form of WOM referrals, and
that count isn't particularly impressive. (The cost difference between a .au
and .com is trivial if you care about SEO and getting a large readership.
This type of ignorance keeps my industry in business, thanks.)

Ash