[LINK] Categories for a community directory

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Tue Mar 13 08:55:48 AEDT 2012

At 22:58 +1100 12/3/12, Ash Nallawalla wrote:
>Google doesn't like sites that use stubs, i.e. empty pages. My guess is that
>this is poor user experience when the majority of category links in a new
>directory lead to empty pages and it is also a waste of time to index such
>empty pages from the Google resourcing perspective.
>
>A developer could write extra code to mark such links as rel="nofollow" to
>keep Google ignorant about these pages, but you still have the issue of user
>annoyance.

We were talking about a taxonomy, rather than its implementation on a web-page.

Implementing a comprehensive taxonomy doesn't means that a page has
to be created for each leaf.

Leaves like Support Groups for Leprosy-Sufferers and Smallpox Victims
would likely be empty in Australia, and hence there's no need for any
page for them, and hence the entry in the directory would be text
rather than a link.

I also have my doubts about 'Google likes / doesn't like ...' as a
design criterion for web-based applications ...