[LINK] tDCS

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Sat Mar 31 02:21:17 AEDT 2012

(Off topic, but maybe of interest ..)

Brain stimulation enables the solution of an inherently difficult problem

By Richard P. Chia (a), and, Allan W. Snydera (b)
(a) Centre for the Mind, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
(b) Department of Physiology, Sydney Medical School, University of
    Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia

Abstract

Certain problems are inherently difficult for the normal human mind. Yet
paradoxically they can be effortless for those with an unusual mind.

We discovered that an atypical protocol for non-invasive brain
stimulation enabled the solution of a problem that was previously
unsolvable.

The majority of studies over the last century find that no participants
can solve the nine-dot problem – a fact we confirmed.

But with 10 min of right lateralising transcranial direct current
stimulation (tDCS), more than 40% of participants did so.

Specifically, whereas no participant solved this extremely difficult
problem before stimulation, or with sham stimulation, 14 out of 33
participants did so with cathodal stimulation of the left anterior
temporal lobe, together with anodal stimulation of the right anterior
temporal lobe.

This finding suggests that our stimulation paradigm might be helpful..
for dealing with a broader class of tasks that, although deceptively
simple, are nonetheless extremely difficult .."

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304394012003618
--

Cheers,
Stephen

Message sent using MelbPC WebMail Server