[LINK] NT Department of Justice Identifies Problem Drinkers Using Fingerprint Biometric Identification

Bernard Robertson-Dunn brd at iimetro.com.au
Thu May 24 11:00:06 AEST 2012

<brd>
It looks to me as though there is a fair amount of spin in this.

The claim is that the system "Identifies Problem Drinkers Using
Fingerprint Biometric Identification Solution"

However, reading further down it says that the "solution captures his or
her fingerprints and photograph.  These are then compared against a
database of individuals previously placed in protective custody as a
result of alcohol misuse"

So it doesn't identify problem drinkers, it identifies people previously
placed in protective custody as a result of alcohol misuse.

These are not the same thing. Firstly, a problem drinker has to have
been previously identified and secondly, the assumption seems to be that
someone who misuses alcohol, even on a one-off binge, is a problem drinker.

I'll leave the privacy implications to others better equipped than me.

</brd>

Regards
brd

Bernard Robertson-Dunn