[LINK] laptops in Aussie schools

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Tue Nov 20 12:35:40 AEDT 2012

[the next phase has approached: replacement strategies, BYOD]

Schools in bind over laptops

Jewel Topsfield
Published: November 20, 2012 - 3:00AM

AUSTRALIAN schools are faced with a controversial decision about
whether to allow students to bring their own smartphones and tablets
to school as the computers supplied by the federal government reach
the end of their lifespan.

Every student in years 9 to 12 received a computer under the Rudd
government's $2 billion ''digital education revolution''.

The computers in schools program was a key plank of Labor's 2007
election pitch, with students promised a ''21st century tool box'' by
the end of last year.

However, a report to be released on Tuesday says some schools are
allowing students to bring their own devices to school given the
''uncertainty and unsustainability of funding for one-to-one student
laptop programs''.

The report, which was funded by Dell, said interest in the trend
known as BYOD - Bring Your Own Device - had peaked sharply this year
as the sustainability of the national secondary school computer fund
and digital education revolution came into question.

[snip]
http://www.theage.com.au/national/education/schools-in-bind-over-laptops-20121119-29m8e.html

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com