[LINK] How to Make oneself Unpopular - Was FemTechNet

tomk tomk at unwired.com.au
Sat Sep 15 09:00:31 AEST 2012

Stephen,

Whilst your posts are usually informative, this ones intent and sixties
style call to revolution raises my hackles...

On 14/09/2012 7:20 p.m., stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:
>> From:   Melissa Gregg<melissa.gregg at sydney.edu.au>
>> Date:   Fri, 14 Sep 2012 02:36:27 +0000
>> Subject:  FemTechNet - new network and teaching initiative
>

> FemTechNet - new network and teaching initiative
>
> Colleagues:
>
> I am writing to introduce you to FemTechNet*, an international network of
> scholars and artists who are conceptualizing, designing, building and
> implementing the world's first DOCC* (Distributed Online Collaborative
> Course), a feminist rethinking and redoing of the unidirectional,
> massive, somewhat imperialist MOOC* (Massively Open Online Course).
> (* Please see definitions of our terms below).
Reminds me a bit of the words to that world war 2 rallying cry (anthem)
of the German people; "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles" (literally,
"Germany, Germany above all") *.*
We could just change the words,  Feminists, Feminists, /über alles/

> Our DOCC, Feminist Dialogues on Technology, will be offered September-
> December 2013, on fifteen campuses around the world, at least one each
> per continent.
>
> Members of our network who do not take or teach the course can follow and
> participate in this pedagogic experiment in a variety of voluntary
> capacities, small and large.
>
> First step: we request that you join our network!
<SNIP>

> Thanks for your interest and please see terms below.

<SNIP>

> *Terms:
>
> FemTechNet is a network of hundreds of international scholars and artists
> who work on or with technology in a variety of fields including STS,
> Media and Visual Studies, Art, Women's, Queer and Ethnic Studies.

Which is a watered down version of their website introductory statement:

"Welcome to the FemTechNet listserv, a network of hundreds of
international feminist scholars, students and artists who work on or
with technology in a variety of fields including STS, Media and Visual
Studies, Art, Women's, Queer and Ethnic Studies./Quote

Yes, let's all be equal.

But if you want to be a member of our little club, make sure you qualify
under our "Terms"....

This type of Germaine Greer activism has past it's due by date.
In the Western world, men and women have reached an equilibrium.
Even in the land of Blokes and mates, we have at last a woman Prime
Minister.
I doubt there is a heterosexual man anywhere in Australia that doubts
even for a millisecond that women wear the longest, thickest and most
expensive pants in any relationship.

"Behind every successful man is a hard working woman."

The only separation remaining between the sexes is those that are
entrepreneurs and those that are not.

Women that have an entrepreneurial bent, lead and command top flight
salaries.
Women that are not entrepreneurial, usually wind up as do
non-entrepreneurial males, in supporting lesser paid roles.

Unemployment levels between the sexes seesaw - (See References.) -
showing an equilibrium between the sexes.

Organisations that continue to draw a line and determine membership by
sex, sexual preferences and ethnicity have no business in our modern
society.

Any organisation (in the West) that attempts to justify it's existence
by calling on the "Sisterhood", the "Rainbow" or utilising the "Race
Card" is merely a "hate" wedge attempting to promote the rights of one
group over another.

This is no longer a cry for equality. With words like :

Quote/"a feminist rethinking and redoing of the unidirectional,
massive, somewhat imperialist" /Quote

Such organisations have passed the tipping point of acceptable self
promotion and are bordering on being guilty of massive social injustice
engineering of our next generation and their real motivations should be
carefully weighed up and analysed by all free thinking honest individual.
Equality is attained by respect. Let us call a stop to all segregating
activity that strives for equality via any type of "ism", division and hate.

Here's some news for the Feminists out there. We had the revolution, the
final score was Women 60 Men 40.
Ask the following question of any kid under thirty... "Who's in charge
of your family, Mum or Dad ?"

A few poignant questions to any woman who believes that she is not equal
to a man;

At the office, do you wear perfume, makeup, short skirts and a cross
your heart lift and separate bra with a low cut blouse ?
Do any of your girlfriends wear such accoutrement's at their place of work ?
Have you ever flirted with a policeman to get out of a traffic ticket ?
Have any of your girlfriends ever flirted with a policeman to get out of
a traffic ticket ?
Have you ever flirted with a customer to land a sale ?
Have you ever smiled at the big fat kid on the bus so you get his seat ?

These are the elements that contribute to the trough of Feminist
disappointment through stereo-typing.
Removing these last barriers to gender equality will not be achieved
through militant Feminist woman Gay and Ethnic only groups.