[LINK] Security problems with Java in browsers

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 11:03:07 AEST 2012

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 7:24 PM, Roger Clarke <Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au>wrote:

> I turned it off so many years ago that I can't remember when it was.

Sadly most people ´s bad experiences with it comes from the period between
Java 1.0x and Java 1.4 which were performance hogs and an absolute
annoyance (low star-up time etc). Luckily things started getting better
with Java 5 aka Tiger (2006 or thereabouts) and Java 6 (1.6) aka Mustang.

With today´s Java 7 (1.7) coupled with today´s hardware (>Ghz CPUs  and no
shortage of RAM) it s a very useful solution, not only for applets but also
desktop apps like the SIP VOIP and video-conferencing app Jitsi which would
have taken several years to ´port´ to every OS otherwise.

I admit that there aren´t that many web ´applets´ out there nowadays. When
Geocities was shut down a large part of the ´stupid useless Java based
animations and eye candy´ went down with it. Thank the heavens. ;)

That however doesn´t mean there aren´t useful Java based solutions that
happen to use the applet approach: case in point www.keepvid.com just paste
the URL of any YT video and the applet presents you with the download link
for every resolution available, no need to download and install any
software, and no need to keep downloading new versions of any scripts (as
happens with the popular python based youtube-dl.py that needs to be
re-downloaded every time Google changes a single character in their
server-side code)

And here´s another reason to keep the JRE installed: muCommander, the
Norton-commander clone, cross-platform, that also does SSH and ftp.

With a JRE installed visit this link to launch it via Java Web Start:
http://ho.io/mu-commander (project page at http://ho.io/mucommander )

And another one:
http://www.sweethome3d.com/index.jsp

But that is just me. I admit not being unbiased when it comes to the JRE
and the idea of cross-platform software :)

FC
act
- George Orwell