[LINK] Crypto parties to protect against govt intrusions

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Mon Sep 24 16:22:01 AEST 2012

At 03:43 PM 24/09/2012, Fernando Cassia wrote:

>On the other hand if you wrote as "wizardboop123" I wouldn´t take your
>writings with the same degree of attention...

Very good point. It takes time to build online
trust, even if you think you know the person with
a real name. It's somewhat like trusting the Mitt
Romney entry on Wikipedia. (Take a look at it and
the George W Bush one and compare -- amazingling
quite different. Someone asked me if they went to
the same uni, so I went to wikipedia to look that up.)

Sock puppets are all over the comments columns.
They get a reputation after awhile and the
commenters get to know one another. It's an
interesting thing to watch, even amongst
thousands of comments on places like Huffington Post.

I think anonymity has its place, still. Don't we
all self-manage our writings when under own names
and our reputations are involved? I probably don't do that as much as I should.

I guess the point of protection is more from
being amalgamated and tracked without a choice.
We have been brought up (those of us old enough
to remember) on the idea that the Internet is
built to work around blockages. I think this is
just another one of those pushback strategies.

I saw on another list that there is going to be
one of these Crypto parties in Sydney on October 13.
<https://cryptoparty.org/wiki/Sydney>https://cryptoparty.org/wiki/<https://cryptoparty.org/wiki/Sydney>Sydney

CryptoParty Sydney, Australia
@sydcryptoparty
#SydCryptoParty