[LINK] Turnbull's NBN

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Wed Apr 10 08:50:53 AEST 2013

At 08:41 AM 10/04/2013, Kim Holburn you wrote:
>If I understand what they're saying, they are going to go to VDSL
>which is 55Mbps but requires cat5 or 4 copper twisted pairs from the
>node to the house.  The exchange will be too far away to get speeds
>like that, so they're going to have to build nodes every block and
>recable the last mile with copper.  That sounds to me insane.
>
>Also Turnbull said on 7:30 report that Telstra would just hand over
>their copper for free.  I don't recall that being in the NBN Telstra
>agreement.  Lee was trying to get him to cost that but he insisted
>it was free - doesn't seem likely with Telstra.  When she asked him
>who would maintain the last mile copper he said they would contract
>Telstra to do it but refused to say how much it would cost.

this is the multi-gauge railway problem all over again. Someone needs
to give Malcolm a clue. But I suspect he is so self-absorbed in his
new 'you beaut' cheap solution, he can't hear reason any more. They
have all drunk the 'no no no' Koolaid.

Unfortunately, the sorts of objective analysis from you guys won't
cut through, either, and the public will just have glazed eyes if
these problems are raised.

If anyone is interested, Jon Faine on ABC local Melbourne radio is
about to deal with it on his program - 774.

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/