[LINK] Turnbull's NBN

David Lochrin dlochrin at d2.net.au
Wed Apr 10 09:38:59 AEST 2013

On 2013-04-10 Jan Whitaker wrote:

> Unfortunately, the sorts of objective analysis from you guys won't
> cut through, either, and the public will just have glazed eyes if
> these problems are raised.

Malcolm is fond of referring to his expertise in telecommunications derived from his earlier career in relation to OzeMail.  The Wikipedia article on OzeMail states that he purchased a stake in 1994 for $500,000 and sold it for $57 million in 1999 to WorldCom.

Apart from the fact that Malcolm was a businessman, not a technical person, the technology around then bears no resemblence to that of today.  What was the speed of a dial-up modem circa 1999?  Let me see, I'd say around 0.0024 Mbit/sec, maybe 0.0096 Mbit/sec.

I wonder if he's reliving those glorious days?

Unfortunately, the NBN discussion seems to be yet another example of the way in which the world is becoming too complex, and the issues too technical, for the average punter's understanding.  However I'm sure Conroy could also do a far better job of explaining the issues, at least to those people with the necessary attention span, but he seems to be too much of a head-kicker.

David L.