[LINK] Turnbull's NBN

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Fri Apr 12 09:24:37 AEST 2013

On 11/04/13 09:18, David Lochrin wrote:
> On 2013-04-11 Tom Worthington wrote:
>
>> ... FTTN in Canberra for just over a decade, with the Transact ...
>
> ... battery backup will be required ... when floods occur?  ...

Transact has battery backup in the fibre optic nodes supporting voice
communications in Canberra. These cabinets are not particularly
intrusive, or noisy.

As far as I know flooding has not been a problem. Obviously Transact
would take flooding into account when locating the equipment. The unit
in the basement of my apartment building is below ground level and next
to a creek, but the cabinet is wall mounted about 1 m above the floor
and the building is protected by a levee. On the one occasion the
building pumps failed, only about 100 mm of water accumulated, well
below the equipment: http://www.tomw.net.au/links/20020501.html

The cabinets and overhead cables are vulnerable to bushfire, but I
noticed no interruption to service during the Canberra 2003 fires:
http://www.tomw.net.au/2003/enet.html

ps: I canceled my Transact account in 2005 and switched to wireless for
phone, data and TV services. The service worked very well, but is fixed
in location and provided more than I needed:
http://mailman.anu.edu.au/pipermail/link/2005-June/062582.html

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia  http://www.tomw.net.au

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/