[LINK] OT: stuffed Australian politics [was - Re: Tony Abbott's NBN, Mad as Hell

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Tue Apr 23 10:33:18 AEST 2013

At 10:14 AM 23/04/2013, Jim Birch wrote:
>Turnbull has been forced into the position of arguing that black is white
>from day one of the NBN.   This works for party faithfuls but not so well
>anywhere else.  I though this was an astute move by the Abbott clique.

Turnbull was always going to have to make a choice: professional
integrity versus playing the by the party rules. And that is why many
people much more astute and competent than those who actually end up
in politics and in governments stay far away from it nowadays.
Selling out is something that people with ethical values wouldn't do,
hence why we don't trust politicians in the main. Even though the
public may not be able to identify the problem, that's pretty much
it. The ones who are elected ultimately sold out, as the Turnbull crazy shows.

About the only ones in the Parliament who we see regularly (my caveat
is because there may be some unknown backbenchers who don't fit the
sell-out category yet) who have stuck to their moral positions are Dr
Mal Washer on medical policy issues, Judy Moylan on asylum seekers,
and lastly Tony Windsor and possibly Rob Oakeshott because they
aren't in a party.

What happens if John Howard is installed as GG?

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/