[LINK] No more human sysadmins??

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Fri Aug 9 08:57:36 AEST 2013

[Is this even reasonable or possible? Or does this general just not
know what a sysadmin does? Discuss.]

NSA Chief: Solution To Stopping The Next Snowden Is Replacing His
Former Job With A Machine
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/08/nsa-snowden_n_3727668.html

NEW YORK -- The director of the National Security Agency said
Thursday that the agency has found a way to prevent further leaks
about American surveillance by replacing nearly all its system
administrators with machines.

At a cybersecurity conference, Gen. Keith B. Alexander told the
audience that intelligence agencies plan to reduce by 90 percent the
number of people in the system administrator position. Edward Snowden
worked as a system administrator as an NSA contractor before leaking
secrets about the agency's controversial cyber-spying programs and
then gaining refuge in Russia.

The NSA employs or contracts with about 1,000 system administrators,
Alexander has previously said.

The general said Thursday that the NSA planned to replace system
administrators with new technology that will make computer networks
"more defensible and more secure."

"We've put people in the loop of transferring data, securing networks
and doing things that machines are probably better at doing,"
Alexander said during a panel discussion with the heads of the FBI
and CIA, which was attended by about 300 people.

Alexander added, "The intent of what we're now doing is to come up
with ways that limit what people can take, what data they have and
how we monitor that."

As another step, Alexander said intelligence agencies are now
requiring system administrators to follow the so-called "two-man
rule," or having someone with them when they access sensitive data.

Alexander has previously said that the NSA would restrict the use of
thumb drives by systems administrators in response to the Snowden leaks.

Alexander did not mention Snowden by name, but said new technology --
which he called a "thin virtual cloud structure" -- would replace
employees, greatly reducing the agency's need to trust them with
protecting government secrets.

"We trust people with data," Alexander said at the conference. "At
the end of the day it's all about trust. And people who have access
to data as part of their missions, if they misuse that trust they can
cause huge damage."

Snowden has acknowledged that his former position gave him enormous
access to sensitive information. He told the Guardian in June: "When
you're in positions of privileged access, like a systems
administrator for the sort of intelligence community agencies, you're
exposed to a lot more information on a broader scale than the average
employee. And because of that you see things that may be disturbing,
but over the course of a normal person's career you'd only see one or
two of these instances."

The recent leaks by Snowden to the Guardian and Washington Post have
renewed the debate within the intelligence community over how much
access IT employees should have to government secrets.

Prior to Snowden, perhaps the most famous case of an employee accused
of causing trouble on his employer's network is that of Pfc. Bradley
Manning, who was charged with providing thousands of government
documents to WikiLeaks. The 25-year-old Army private first class was
convicted last month on 19 counts for sending a massive trove of
documents to the anti-secrecy group and faces up to 90 years in prison.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com