[LINK] Open Knowledge Live from Canberra

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Wed Aug 28 16:05:26 AEST 2013

At 15:33 +1000 28/8/13, Dr Bob Jansen wrote:
>My take on it all was/is that we need to be careful in anchoring stuff
>to definitions. In this area, what is data to one may be
>information/knowledge/wisdom to another. The issue would appear to me to
>be one of context and that is one thing we haven't really solved in the
>AI arena, context-sensitive application of
>data/information/knowledge/wisdom.

FWIW, here's what I used to teach students in the late 80s and early 90s:
http://www.rogerclarke.com/SOS/ISFundas.html

Extracts:

'Data' is any symbol, sign or measure which is in a form which can be
directly captured by a person or a machine.

'Real-world data' is data which represents or purports to represent a
fact in the real world; whereas 'synthetic data' is data which does
not.

'Information' is data that has value. Informational value depends
upon context. Until it is placed in an appropriate context, data is
not information, and once it ceases to be in that context it ceases
to be information.

'Knowledge' is defined as either:
*   (naively) a body of facts and principles accumulated by mankind
in the course of time; or
*   (more usefully) the matrix of impressions within which an
individual situates newly acquired information.

'Wisdom' has to do with judgement exercised by applying decision
criteria to knowledge combined with new information.

Tel: +61 2 6288 6916                        http://about.me/roger.clarke

Visiting Professor in the Faculty of Law            University of N.S.W.