[LINK] O/T: Neologism Claim for 'Voyeurnalism'

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Wed Aug 28 19:50:38 AEST 2013

I've created a few words over the years, with mixed success.

A while back, I coined 'voyeurnalism'.

It's a pretty obvious term to invent, and I blithely assumed that
someone else had already done so;  but I hadn't spent the few minutes
needed to check.  (I'm a great believer in parallel invention:
Newton and Leibnitz and all that.  Although a word isn't quite a
competitor for a calculus).

Re-using the word in another document, I checked it.  To my
astonishment, search-engines seem to find no usage other than in
three of my papers.

If anyone is aware of, or can locate, any other usages, I'd appreciate it.

http://www.rogerclarke.com/DV/PandM.html
Self-published          14 October 2011
Appeared in a journal   June 2012

'Journalism' is used in this paper to refer to the preparation of
news, current affairs and documentaries, by means of the discipline
of collecting, analysing, cross-checking and presenting information
regarding events and issues that are 'in the public interest'.
Journalism includes 'opinion', but opinion needs to be clearly
distinguished as such. The term and the definition are conventional

'Advertorialism' is used in this paper to refer to a form of
corrupted or debased journalism, in which the analysis and
cross-checking of information is compromised. It involves essentially
re-publishing government propaganda and business propaganda as
provided by those organisations' public relations and marketing
apparatus. This term may not yet be mainstream, but is consistent
with contemporary thinking

'Voyeurnalism' is used in this paper to refer to a different form of
corrupted or debased journalism, in which information regarding
events and issues is presented that is not 'in the public interest',
but rather is 'what the public is interested in', or 'what the public
may be able to be made to be interested in'. Some voyeurnalism
departs further from journalism by presenting information in a
constructively misleading manner or inventing pseudo-information
along the lines of 'fantasy news'. This category of media was
referred to as 'yellow press' and 'yellow journalism' in the USA a
century ago, and the term 'sensationalist media' is used in the UK.
The word 'voyeurnalism' is a concoction by this author, to deal with
the absence of an established term

Tel: +61 2 6288 6916                        http://about.me/roger.clarke

Visiting Professor in the Faculty of Law            University of N.S.W.