[LINK] NS re the UK Internet Filter

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Tue Dec 24 12:02:11 AEDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-12-24 at 06:13 +1100, Roger Clarke wrote:

> [This item is shrill, and may need to be read with scepticism.  But,
> if it's even 20% correct, then it's not only the Pommie cricket team
> that's in a seriously bad way.]
>

> O2, the Slough-based BT spin-off, do allow people to check which
> websites are blocked, and although their filter has been around for a

O2 filtering is opt-in

so in reality, its only lazy parents and religious nutters like their
versions of the ACL that would enable it for their households.

and IIRC with the parent BT filtering, thats optional too, but cant
recall if its opt-in or opt-out  by default.
but yes, it shows how ridiculous and proves how unworkable, ISP side
filtering is, but we've all known that for some time.