[LINK] Wireless Broadband for Regional Australia

Janet Hawtin janet at hawtin.net.au
Fri Dec 27 08:38:22 AEDT 2013

On 26 December 2013 23:00, <stephen at melbpc.org.au> wrote:

> True in major infrastructure terms, many would agree you're right Frank.
>
> However, in terms of social organization, Australia has come a long way.
>
> Many might agree Australia has built a well functioning, and, reasonably
> safe, multi-layered, comparatively equitable and envied social structure.
>
> For eg, most Aussie capital cities often score your "World's Best Cities".
>
> We are not particularly corrupt or dishonest, we score very well in terms
> of health, hospitals, schools and universities. And generally, many think
> Australia is an excellent place to live comparatively. And they are right.

The manufacturing sector would disagree, automotive industry, all of the
affiliated trades.
The agricultural sector is stressed. Citrus and Victorian orchard folk have
been ripping out their orchards.
Fruit from elsewhere shipped half way round the world.
Apples from Tas now not exported because the shipping doesn'r go direct to
Tas anymore.
Dairy farms in Tas sold to Chinese owners, others here stressed and
closing, farmers walking of farms.
Fracking on farm land.
Mining sector changes.
Aboriginal Australians including kids more likely to be in jail, less
access to work. Health challenges.
People working long hours in factories gutting and filleting meat as piece
work. standing in refrigerated space.
Students working to pay for study with casual work. Variable income causing
stress.

Changes in Qld to government services reduce equity and access to social
infrastructure services.
Again these kinds of infrastructure were developed in earlier years and are
being dropped for short term thinking.
Utilities which are private are aiming for profit. I think that puts stress
on infrastructure development and maintenance.
I heard that NBN was suggested to be rolled out by postcode to wealthy
areas.

Well off people in cities perhaps think there is equity.
Perhaps people are now stratified enough or sorted by employment and
residential wealth
so that those who struggle are separated like curds and whey into different
neighborhoods.