[LINK] Wireless Broadband for Regional Australia

Jan Whitaker jwhit at internode.on.net
Fri Dec 27 08:37:24 AEDT 2013

At 11:02 PM 26/12/2013, Janet Hawtin wrote:

>Perhaps that is the next big thing.
>Kid-built rotundas in the parks for the "digitally homeless" generation(s)
>trying to access the best line of sight on the exchange.
>It is a joke but not in the funny way.

The next "old" thing -- I believe they were (are?) called Internet
Cafes. Do they exist any more?

I'm not disagreeing with your overall point, Janet, about lack of
vision/will to build for the future. But we still need communal
places like this for people who can't afford equipment and
connection. Our library stations are pretty much always full when I
walk in. That's why it's also sad to find so few pay phones today as
well. Not everyone can afford a phone, either. But society is moving
on average toward ubiquitous connectivity and the expectation is that
everyone has some sort of device to connect with as well as know how
to use it. Otherwise forget about finding a job or applying for work
or about anything to do with interacting with government services --
it's all on a website now, isn't it?

Cheers,
Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com

Sooner or later, I hate to break it to you, you're gonna die, so how
do you fill in the space between here and there? It's yours. Seize your space.
~Margaret Atwood, writer