[LINK] Our future Generation being looked after by our Government

tomk tomk at unwired.com.au
Fri Feb 1 14:16:02 AEDT 2013

On 1/02/2013 10:49 a.m., grove at zeta.org.au wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Feb 2013, Paul Brooks wrote:
>
>> On 1/02/2013 11:09 AM, Michael Skeggs mike at bystander.net wrote:
>>> And to bring it back to the list topic, I was surprised and impressed when
>>> my 11yro returned from her first day of high school yesterday to tell me
>>> they had learnt binary in Maths.
>> Similarly, I was very impressed when my 9yo came home from school, spotted the new
>> webcam I had perched on the monitor, and was aghast that it didn't have a privacy
>> shutter that could be put across the lens when not in use.
>> He wouldn't leave until it had a post-it note stuck across it, after several weeks of
>> cyber-safety sessions at school.
>>
>> Tom - the cotton hat is to block UV radiation, not alpha, beta or gamma particles. For
>> those you'll need your tinfoil akubra.
> Gamma, alpha and beta particles are readily absorbed at the upper levels of the ionosphere
> and magnetosphere.  Otherwise earth would be a rocky, slushy ball of lifeless muck....

Ahhh, another one that didn't see the memo.....

Quote/ [From:
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2008/16dec_giantbreach/]
.On June 3, 2007 NASA's five THEMIS spacecraft discovered a breach in
Earth's magnetic field ten times larger than anything previously thought
to exist. Solar wind can flow in through the opening to "load up" the
magnetosphere for powerful geomagnetic storms. But the breach itself is
not the biggest surprise. Researchers are even more amazed at the
strange and unexpected way it forms, overturning long-held ideas of
space physics.

So if the umbrella has holes in it, either you get a new umbrella or you
get wet.

Slide 4