[LINK] comparison of OO and LO

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Thu Feb 28 09:57:25 AEDT 2013

Brenda raised this in her reply about the call for writers. I use OO
because that was what I was introduced to.

Has anyone on Link tried both in a Windows environment and found one
better over the other in terms of functionality? I've read a few
comparison articles on the web, but otehr than license differences
(which I don't really care about), there doesn't appear to be much
surface difference. For example, one of my problems is importing
.docx files and losing some formatting and exporting them back again
introduces corruption of headers.

One article -
http://www.infoworld.com/d/applications/open-office-dilemma-openofficeorg-vs-libreoffice-716?page=0,1
- says that both install JRE, which may be the old one which would
need to be updated re the latest security problems. That article was
comparing things 2 years ago, so things may have improved.

Does anyone know, for example, if either support Publisher files in some way?

Any advice? Should I switch?

TIA,
Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia