[LINK] itNews: 'Ubuntu goes mobile'

Brenda Aynsley bpa at iss.net.au
Mon Jan 7 18:07:17 AEDT 2013

On 07/01/13 16:25, Ivan Trundle wrote:

> On 07/01/2013, at 7:32 AM, Roger Clarke <Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au> wrote:
>
>> The gesture-based Ubuntu mobile interface retains the 'Unity' look
>> and feel of Ubuntu's desktop OS.
>
> I predict that this is where things will get really, really messy.
>
> To date, there has been little agreement over 'gestures', and no understanding of how real humans (rather than computer geeks) use such interfaces.

ah a timely item.  I installed ubuntu 12.10 before christmas on a
machine that's used at the pc recycling group and made the decision to
leave unity in place and work with it despite having quickly replaced it
with gnome twice before for my own use.  I cursed ... a lot but now I am
becoming used to it.  I have installed 12.10 on my own laptop now and
again left unity in place ... Why?

Cons:
menus gone!  an efficient way to get around when you've used one as long
as I have

bottom panel gone! a way of working that is as natural to me as sleeping
and breathing

no working weather app sitting in the top panel so I dont know how hot I
am!! :( (there's supposed to be one but it doesn't work)

no place on the panel to add the most often used applications (I'm
probably showing my ignorance here of the default panel provided by ubuntu)

Pros:
only one ... well maybe two ... perhaps 3
I do like the HUD and being able to type a few letters of the app I want
to run instead of moving through menus but see above :(

its more about linux than ubuntu the fact that you can add in docks to
provide the missing functionality, and that's what I have done adding in
Cairo which provides menus of shortcuts et al and utilities like Ubuntu
Tweaks to help control the environment

finally the fact that it is the glue that binds all form factors
together so tablets, phones and computers can all use the same interface
or one so familiar getting past the differences is a no brainer

So do I like it? well no I would run back to gnome classic in an
instance if I had the choice but for that last factor.  Will I stick to
it?  Yes for the foreseeable future because I am particularly supportive
of the move to provide a linux based phone since I hate being locked
into google with my android tablet and my android smartphone.

cheers
brenda
--
Brenda Aynsley, FACS CP, ACS Honorary Life Member
Chair IFIP International Professional Practice Partnership (IP3) 2011-13