[LINK] itNews: 'Ubuntu goes mobile'

Jeremy Visser jeremy at visser.name
Mon Jan 7 20:05:08 AEDT 2013

On 07/01/13 07:32, Roger Clarke wrote:
> [At long last, here's the first move in the long, slow process to
> re-open all those closed phones and tablets.  Will there be a
> practicable, non-proprietary, non-consumer-manipulation alternative
> in my lifetime?]

What gives you the faintest impression Canonical gives even the
slightest damn about freedom for the sake of freedom? They only do it
when it suits them, and I'll eat my hat if their mobile product turns
out to be fully open.

Even if it is open, it'll be them doing their own thing in such a way
that is unusable/unacceptable/not-useful in the eyes of the community.
(Notice how nobody else has adopted the horrid Unity, despite it being
open?)

If you need the slightest bit of proof that they don't give a rats, just
look at how long they took to open up the source for Launchpad.