[LINK] Cloud Computing Definition

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Sun Jul 28 21:46:05 AEST 2013

At 11:40 AM 28/07/2013, Frank O'Connor wrote:
>My data paranoia is of legendary proportions,
>but so is my desire for privacy and independence
>... so I can't see the Cloud (especially in
>these days of PRISM and other state sponsored
>data hoovering) as being a large part of my future strategy.

and continuing:

Edward Snowden's not the story. The fate of the internet is

The press has lost the plot over the Snowden
revelations. The fact is that the net is finished
as a global network and that US firms' cloud services cannot be trusted
         John Naughton
         The Observer, Saturday 27 July 2013
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/jul/28/edward-snowden-death-of-internet

[snip to end]

But the Snowden revelations also have implications for you and me.

They tell us, for example, that no US-based
internet company can be trusted to protect our
privacy or data. The fact is that Google,
Facebook, Yahoo, Amazon, Apple and Microsoft are
all integral components of the US
cyber-surveillance system. Nothing, but nothing,
that is stored in their "cloud" services can be
guaranteed to be safe from surveillance or from
illicit downloading by employees of the
consultancies employed by the NSA. That means
that if you're thinking of outsourcing your
troublesome IT operations to, say, Google or Microsoft, then think again.

And if you think that that sounds like the
paranoid fantasising of a newspaper columnist,
then consider what Neelie Kroes, vice-president
of the European Commission, had to say on the
matter recently. "If businesses or governments
think they might be spied on," she said, "they
will have less reason to trust the cloud, and it
will be cloud providers who ultimately miss out.
Why would you pay someone else to hold your
commercial or other secrets, if you suspect or
know they are being shared against your wishes?
Front or back door – it doesn't matter – any
smart person doesn't want the information shared
at all. Customers will act rationally and
providers will miss out on a great opportunity."

Spot on. So when your chief information officer
proposes to use the Amazon or Google cloud as a
data-store for your company's confidential
documents, tell him where to file the proposal. In the shredder.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com

Our truest response to the irrationality of the
world is to paint or sing or write, for only in such response do we find truth.
~Madeline L'Engle, writer