[LINK] [PRIVACY] Bigpond email moving to Outlook.com

Jan Whitaker jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Thu Jun 13 11:17:37 AEST 2013

At 11:47 PM 12/06/2013, Jan Whitaker you wrote:
>I've heard in another group that Telstra Bigpond is moving their
>email accounts to outlook, presumably in the US or possibly
>Singapore. What do you all think about this?
>Has anyone queried them about the implications? Or read their terms?
>I only buy landline service from Telstra, so don't know the particulars.

There has to be a story in this in relation to the NSA scandal:

More info, but not much:

http://www.telstra.com.au/internet/broadband-services/#tab-bigpond-email

Outlook doesn't appear once in their ISP Consumer Guidelines
http://telstra.com.au/internet/download/document/ispguidelines-25july.pdf?ref=Net-Footer-Corp-Guidelines

Nor the Bigpond Terms of Use:
http://go.bigpond.com/pond/terms-of-use/?ref=Net-Foot-Corp-Terms

The instructions provided for the move to Outlook just says agree to
the new terms, but you can't see them until you've opted into the new
system and after you've updated your email system. Perhaps these are
the terms, which are what come up of you go to www.outlook.com (in
the footer of that page).
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/microsoft-services-agreement

-----------------
Note:
3.3. What does Microsoft do with my content? When you upload your
content to the services, you agree that it may be used, modified,
adapted, saved, reproduced, distributed, and displayed to the extent
necessary to protect you and to provide, protect and improve
Microsoft products and services. For example, we may occasionally use
automated means to isolate information from email, chats, or photos
in order to help detect and protect against spam and malware, or to
improve the services with new features that makes them easier to use.
When processing your content, Microsoft takes steps to help preserve
your privacy.
-----------------

No where in that clause does it mention allowing government agencies
to see your content. That all comes later in the 'privacy' section.

-----------------
5.2. Does Microsoft disclose my personal information outside of
Microsoft? You consent and agree that Microsoft may access, disclose,
or preserve information associated with your use of the services,
including (without limitation) your personal information and content,
or information that Microsoft acquires about you through your use of
the services (such as IP address or other third-party information)
when Microsoft forms a good faith belief that doing so is necessary
(a) to comply with applicable law or to respond to legal process from
competent authorities; (b) to enforce this agreement or protect the
rights or property of Microsoft or our customers; or (c) to help
prevent a loss of life or serious physical injury to anyone.

5.3. How does Microsoft respond to legal process? Similar to other
providers of Internet services, Microsoft is served with legal
demands and requests from law enforcement, government entities, and
private litigants for content stored on our network. This information
may relate to an alleged crime or civil matter and is usually
requested pursuant to the normal legal process of the country or
locality where the activity occurred. Microsoft may be obligated to
comply with requests for your information or your content as part of
such investigations or legal proceedings.

Note: "where the activity occurred". That isn't what 'might' happen,
as in the case of the NSA or intelligence community.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com