[LINK] Opting out of surveillance

Kim Holburn kim at holburn.net
Wed Jun 19 22:27:47 AEST 2013

Some techniques and sites for protecting your privacy. (Apart from not using a computer.)

http://prism-break.org/

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/04/4-simple-changes-protect-your-privacy-online

I must say I have used a firefox extension for years called prefbar, because it allowed me to turn off the referer field easily (that misspelling is unfortunately permanent).

I have found that a number of sites depend for their security on the referer field being on.  Grrrrr.  Luckily there are now several Firefox extensions that allow you to whitelist sites for the referer field.  For instance "Smart referer" and "Referer Control".

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant