[LINK] Is this a portent of things to come?

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Wed Jun 19 20:38:46 AEST 2013

At 08:10 PM 19/06/2013, Ross Kelso wrote:
>Clearly what happened here was an accident BUT immediately my mind
>turned to the prospect of a more sinister reoccurrence in the future
>if someone (or a hostile government agency for example) wanted to
>propagate software that could remotely turn off television sets
>anywhere in the world!  Is this a portent of things to come?
>
>Cheers
>
>Ross Kelso
>PS:  Don't ever get an Internet-connected refrigerator :)!

Great story, Ross. We often hear about bizarre things happening like
this, but hardly ever do we know someone it has happened to.
http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/computers/blogs/gadgets-on-the-go/epg-update-cripples-sony-bravia-flat-screen-tvs-20130619-2ohps.html

But your post mentioned that Nine was the culprit. Well, here's what
they want to do as their next party trick:
Nine wants say in cricket selection
Channel Nine executive says the network expects a greater say in team
selection and scheduling.
http://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/nine-wants-say-in-selection-20130619-2ojdn.html

to which Cricket Australia replied:
CA rejects 9 cricket selection influence
Cricket Australia has rejected suggestions from the Nine Network that
the broadcaster could have input into team selections over the summer.
http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-sport/ca-rejects-9-cricket-selection-influence-20130619-2oje6.html

Maybe CA found out about the Sony problem....

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
blog: http://janwhitaker.com/jansblog/
business: http://www.janwhitaker.com