[LINK] NBN pricing may dull broadband benefits: economist

Jan Whitaker jwhit at melbpc.org.au
Sat Mar 9 18:09:06 AEDT 2013

At 04:12 PM 9/03/2013, Richard wrote:

>Having worked with John De Ridder, the Telstra angle isn't much to worry
>about. He's been out of there for a long time; and it wasn't possible to
>train up in telecoms in the 1980s without passing through Telstra.

Fair enough comment, Richard. About every second person I meet has
done so at some stage! So I agree with you. I then blame the author
if that is the way de Ridder is being tarred, uh, I mean, tagged for
his bona fides. If he's been out a long time, what has he done in the
mean time that would give him cred? That is more relevant. The world changes.

>I don't entirely agree with him on this one - because it seems to me
>that, counter-intuitively, more people are taking up higher speeds than
>expected. But I'm not economist enough to challenge his analysis.

I'm not sure it's counter-intuitive. They may think like me and see a
real bargain -- 10+ times the speed for the same budgeted payment is
a no brainer! :-)

Jan

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com