[LINK] Phillipines: major typhoon hits

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Fri Nov 8 18:43:08 AEDT 2013

> Best wishes to our linkers with connections up there in the islands.

Thanks Jan. Right now, my wife is teaching on a small island, immediately
in the path of this super-typhoon. All of the many families from the many
nearby smaller islands (1-2 metre above sea level) have evacuated and she
and them are right now taking refuge in her classroom and in the school's
other classrooms. Five mins ago they were all ok although the storm surge
is estimated at eight metres and most of the palm trees etc are destroyed.

One fact about this 800 kilometre-wide typhoon ..

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2573

"Haiyan had winds of 190 - 195 mph at landfall, making it the strongest
tropical cyclone on record to make landfall in our world's history. The
previous record was held by the 1969 Atlantic's Hurricane Camille which
made landfall in Mississippi with 190 mph winds."

Here's the current satellite images ..

http://www.wunderground.com/data/images/wp201331_sat_anim.gif

Regards,
Stephen

Message sent using MelbPC WebMail Server