[LINK] Phillipines: major typhoon hits

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Sat Nov 9 03:42:08 AEDT 2013

Nicholas writes,

>>> Best wishes to our linkers with connections up there in the islands.
>>>
>> Thanks Jan .. "Haiyan had winds of 190 - 195 mph at landfall, making
>> it the strongest tropical cyclone on record to make landfall in our
>> world's history. The previous record was held by the 1969 Atlantic's
>> Hurricane Camille making landfall in Mississippi with 190 mph winds."
>
> A full on event and my thoughts go out to all those affected ..

Good on you Nik. All my thoughts go out to them also, especially my wife :)

News is that everyone on her island is safe anyway. They know what to do :)

Here's an early-in-the-storm uTube of what horizontal typhoon rain's like

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ud1Lf4GY99g

However, although all are safe there, a long time American friend writes ..

"In Luzon province we lost the roof of the family concrete house in Buguey
and the whole town is flooded.  No one has been able to make it out to the
little house on the family farm to see if it's still standing. I doubt it."

"We lost all our coconut palms, we are told that the current rice crop is
damaged beyond salvage and our huge 50-year-old mango tree in the backyard
in Buguey is destroyed, completely uprooted by the high winds."

But, it's a remarkable Asian country, the Philippines. With 7.5% growth for
the last three years, ninety percent speak English, (hence the call centre
growth) and ninety five percent are Catholic (divorce is illegal). Recently
the World Bank rated them on the border of the middle third of countries in
terms of wealth, so it's really a second world country rather than a third
world. They are significantly richer, per capita, than India, for example.

Haha, in a population of just over 100 million, a third have the Internet.

They also know how to deal with severe storms. My wife wasn't even nervous.

I was :D

Cheers,
Stephen

Message sent using MelbPC WebMail Server