[LINK] An Overhead NBN

rene rene.ln at libertus.net
Sun Nov 10 17:53:52 AEDT 2013

On Sun, 10 Nov 2013 08:59:33 +1100, Tom Worthington wrote:
[...]
> On a visit to Samoa, I saw ordinary blue "Ethernet" cable stung from
> power poles in the capital city. This was deteriorating after a few
> years in the tropical sun:

Well, that's not what NBNCo use to aerially connect houses. The black
coloured fibre cable their contractors connected to 3 power poles on the
way to my house roof is thicker than the long-existing aerial Telstra phone
line cable and the cockatoos/parrots etc around here haven't attacked the
Telstra cable, nor the aerial electric or Optus or Foxtel cables in the
street in the many years I've been here.

I note your point about brushfires, but I daresay there's many areas where
the likelihood of brushfires, if any, reaching aerial cable height is
likely zero.

Irene