[LINK] The second operating system hiding in every mobile phone

andrew clarke mail at ozzmosis.com
Thu Nov 14 01:42:53 AEDT 2013

On Wed 2013-11-13 09:13:19 UTC+0000, stephen at melbpc.org.au (stephen at melbpc.org.au) wrote:

> Can't add anything regards tracking, but it's astonishing how easy it is
> to apparently attract mobile phone malware.

On the subject of mobile phone security, I thought this was a bit
alarming & disappointing:

http://www.osnews.com/story/27416/The_second_operating_system_hiding_in_every_mobile_phone

Quote:

"... Security researcher Ralf-Philipp Weinmann of the University of
Luxembourg set out to reverse engineer the baseband processor software
of both Qualcomm and Infineon, and he easily spotted loads and loads
of bugs, scattered all over the place, each and every one of which
could lead to exploits - crashing the device, and even allowing the
attacker to remotely execute code. Remember: all over the air. One of
the exploits he found required nothing more but a 73 byte message to
get remote code execution. Over the air."