[LINK] Android mobile phone antivirus?

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Thu Nov 14 19:37:08 AEDT 2013

> At 09:58 AM 14/11/2013, Jim Birch wrote:
> >* Buy a phone with an OS update policy. The best option.. is a Google
> >brand Nexus phone that gets OS updates as they are released by Google.
> >Many older phones are stuck in old Android versions.
>
> I'd like to extend this thread to other Android devices. (don't
> laugh, Brenda) What about tablets? I would imagine the same advice re
> applet access/trust is equally valid, but your point about OS updates
> is something I hadn't considered. Do Android updates work the same as
> Win updates?

In terms of Android updates being like Win updates, as Jim rightly said,
it depend on each maker of each specific device running Android systems.

For example, I have a nice, super cheap but good quality 10 inch Android
Jelly Bean tablet from Aldi. And, my Samsung Android phone, also running
Jelly Bean arrived this morning. Although the Aldi Android tablet is top
quality mechanically, it does NOT have a maker support-eco-system behind
it supplying Win-like Android operating system updates. Thus it will not
easily have its Android version updated. However, the Samsung version of
this same Android is certainly updated by Samsung, already several times.

However, having said that, there has sprung up a strong (though amateur)
self-help group for this particular brand and model tablet on Whirlpool.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/144

These brave souls on the forum have picked the tablet apart, and several
have managed to root it, and then install a later version of Android. It
then has a better microphone performance, for example, but, also crashes
when other sandboxes are initiated, eg, making a 3G phone call.  So, you
see, Android must be specifically tailored to an extent for each machine.

The cheapie Aldi tablet contract with its maker Bauhn, obviously did not
include ongoing Android updates. So, everyone on the Whirlpool forum for
this machine has reverted and re-installed its original Android version.

But, the Samsung Android eco-system is amazing. Automatic updating, free
apps specifically tailored to that particular Android version and to the
phone. Already my phone is an excellent GPS/Google map system, and now I
can have a long conversation with the Chinese shopkeeper nearby, just by
each talking near the phone. We each hear in our own language, instantly.
All this is provided free from Samsung, while Aldi/Bauhn provide nothing.

> Also, do the tablets using Jelly Bean also sandbox applications?

Yes, should believe so. I doubt Android versions are THAT much different.

> And finally, are there any antivirus protections for these environments?

Yes, that's the big question, and exactly what I'm asking as well :)

> Partly I'm asking this for me, but also to help out members in our
> computer club. We have most of them convinced about AV now, working
> on doing backups, but we are seeing more mobile devices in the group
> and I need to understand this better for them as well as myself
> because I'm thinking about adding one to my collection.  Thanks! Jan

Well Aldi have two Bauhn Android tablets on sale again this Saturday. One
is $159 and the other $229. They're both 3G mobile phones as well. Simply
don't expect regular and automatic Android system updates :) But I'll see
you on Whirlpool maybe. Those guys are completely fearless tech-warriors!

https://www.aldi.com.au/en/special-buys/saturday-16-november-2013/

Cheers,
Stephen
Does antimatter fall upward?