[LINK] ABC i view changes

Andrew Thornton secretelf77 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 17 12:08:23 AEDT 2013

             I don't know if this matters or not. IT seems strange that
adobe flash player is regarded by the ABC as being secure at all.

Author 	*ABC (Moderator)*
Date/Time 	*02 Jul 2013 6:10:51pm*
Subject 	*Change To Minimum Requirements*

>From time to time the ABC makes updates to iview's video streaming
platform to take advantage of new technology and standards. Most
recently, changes were undertaken to make iview's streaming platform
compatible with HDS, Adobe's new standard for video streaming.

This will improve iview's access to Australians on local networks who
have previously experienced issues with RTMP streaming, and in future
will mean we can unmeter iview's traffic to more Australians on a
greater range of devices.

For the last five years the ABC has endeavoured to make iview available
to all audiences, on as many platforms and operating system versions as
possible. This has been dependant on the technology our content delivery
system has been able to support.

It is the ABC's view that the Adobe Flash Player is currently the best
technical solution for streaming to desktop users, both in terms of wide
access to as many Australians as possible, quality user experience and
the capability to protect our content from unauthorised download.
Studios and other content suppliers insist on this protection in order
to stream their programs online, otherwise we cannot secure the rights
to a large proportion of the content made available on iview.

Unfortunately, we have recently identified unresolved technical issues
with older versions of the Adobe Flash Player which are incompatible
with our streaming platform. In summary, Adobe Flash Player 10.2 and
below do not correctly support streaming with our security features enabled.

Regrettably, the minimum requirements for iview will now change - iview
will require Adobe Flash Player version 11.7. We have identified two
types of audience members who will be directly affected by this. Apple
Mac computers will need OSX 10.6 or above in order to install Adobe
Flash Player 11.7. Adobe has discontinued development of the Linux Flash
Player as of version 11.2, but Linux users will have access to iview via
the Adobe Flash Player (version 11.7) that comes bundled with the Google
Chrome browser. We hesitate to encourage users towards using a
particular web browser, but in this case we don't have any other option
due to Adobe's discontinued support of that platform.

We make all reasonable efforts to ensure we can continue serve the
audience on their platform of choice, but while we are dependent on
Adobe Flash Player for delivering video we cannot control the roadmap of
Adobe to adequately support various platforms. We are constantly
evaluating new streaming technologies and if a more suitable or reliable
alternative becomes available that will make our content available to
more Australians then we will adapt as necessary.

Thanks,
the iview team

---