[LINK] RFC: Easier Security for SMEs and Consumers

Rick Welykochy rick at vitendo.ca
Mon Oct 28 09:42:44 AEDT 2013

stephen at melbpc.org.au wrote:

> Perhaps to further demonstrate the farcial community security-situation,
> one may suggest you example this product, available now on China's eBay.
>
> With a one kilometre range, it's $20 and they offer free delivery. Sigh.
>
>   "Password cracking Free Internet FREE WIFI 11N KINAMAX WIFI ADAPTER"
>
> <http://www.dhgate.com/product/password-cracking-free-internet-free-
> wifi/120642378.html>

Two interesting product reviews for the above:

"The quality is good, the price is normal, fast delivery, good wholesome product."

Wholesome? Sounds like Chinese polit speak.

"great as Wi-Fi Arial, cracks wep in like 20 mins, cant do wpa/wpa2 psk gave it
like 12hrs on each program no luck"

Strange. I agree that wpa is much more difficult to crack, but I was
under the impression that wep can be got at within seconds, since the
underlying encryption scheme is so weak.

Some of the other reviewers were less than impressed with being shipped
a substituted inferior product.

cheers
rickw

--
Rick Welykochy || Vitendo Consulting

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second,
it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
      -- Arthur Schopenhauer