[LINK] More adobe flash issues

Rick Welykochy rick at vitendo.ca
Thu Feb 13 15:02:58 AEDT 2014

Jan Whitaker wrote:
> Linkers,
> There is another article in the Age today about Adobe updating (again).
> The thing is, the Adobe site says the new version to install is 12.0.9.149.
> http://helpx.adobe.com/security/products/shockwave/apsb14-06.html
>
> Yet when you go to  their download flash player site,
> http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=JZEFT
> It's still the old version, 12.0.0.44
> I already updated to that version.
>
> So where is the new one?
> What am I misunderstanding?
>
> Wait, I found it at
> http://get.adobe.com/shockwave/
> I take it that this is different from the web browser shockwave add-on.

Yes, Jan, you have a right to be confused. I was going to post similarly
until I reconciled the difference between the two.

Adobe Flash Player and Shockwave are often intermingled in literature
and there seems to be little to differentiate the two. Adobe seems to
be confusing the two as well, i.e. my browser plug-in reports the
Flash Plug-in as Shockwave Flash 12.0.0.44.

I am quite sure that the Shockwave Player is not the same as the
browser plug-in.

> I wish they would be more clear about what is happening. I pretty
> much most of the time understand this stuff, but think about the poor
> punters out there who haven't a clue.

If you recall, I wrote a few days ago about how the installation
process for Mac OS X Lion is completely buggered now, and has been
for months. Since that rant I have located bug reports about this in the
Adobe Bugs Database, but nothing has been done about it.

I now download the Flash updates using Mac OS X Tiger and then distribute
them manually to myself and a few others.

How much longer must we put up with this crap product that seems to be
embedded in everything except iPads? I think Apple made a Good Move (tm)
banishing Flash from their handhelds.

Aside: I find the Adobe PDF Reader so painful, I gave up using it years ago.
Note that Adobe Reader now plays videos! This is very worrisome as such a
feature will multiply the number of attack vectors in Adobe's already very
buggy and insecure products. Thank the demons for Preview in OS X,
which views PDFs painlessly, quickly and without the fuss of Adobe Reader.

cheers
rickw

--
Rick Welykochy || Vitendo Consulting

Gerrold's Fundamental Truth:
It's a good thing money can't buy happiness.
We couldn't stand the commercials.