[LINK] Big Data - bad or otherwise

Michael mike at bystander.net
Thu Jan 16 10:15:27 AEDT 2014

On 16 January 2014 09:43, Bernard Robertson-Dunn <brd at iimetro.com.au> wrote:

> To be pedantic (and correct), Ford knows what the car is doing, they
> don't know who is driving. It's the same with phone tracking. If there
> are two people in the car - who is driving and who is on the phone? Even
> it both phones are being used that does not prove (it only suggests)
> both people are on the phone.
>
> --

Yes, but I can envisage a mechanism for identifying an individual based on
driving habits (like handwriting analysis, or gait recognition or keystroke
dynamics) that could link a driver across trips.
Matching that up to an individual human then becomes much easier.
Especially as most vehicles have a small set of regular drivers.
I suspect I could identify whether it was my mum or dad driving with better
than 95% accuracy if I had access to their acceleration and breaking data,
for example.

Regards,
Michael Skeggs