[LINK] Remember the power to the nodes issue?

Frank O'Connor francisoconnor3 at bigpond.com
Sat Jul 12 21:05:15 AEST 2014

Mmmm,

There are any number of issues that haven't even been looked at with respect to those pesky nodes.

There's the power thingie, as Jan mentions.

There's the maintenance thingie (I mean, these 80,000 odd puppies are out there in the weather, being regularly opened and closed to service/connect/disconnect those pesky subscribers ... and wind and water - and lightning - do nasty things to the copper and metal bits)

There's the traffic/disaster thingie. (I mean, these puppies are out on the street, at ground level ... open to collisions and the like from those motor vehicle thingies and all manner of other collision and mishap disasters)

There's the mundane copper/fibre reliability thingie. Exactly how 'fit for purpose' is the majority of Telstra's copper, how much has oxidised and been damaged in bits of the 'final yards' that we don't know about?

There's the compounding effect that an error cascade from one local node may have on surrounding nodes. I mean, one node going down or otherwise faulting could have effects on other nodes up-and-down the network, aside from the forty of fifty subscribers who are connected to it. Each node offers yet another possible point of failure, that can affect the network generally.

There's the connection thingie. I mean, I haven't seen the designs, but can anyone tell me how modular the node design is for mixed connections, how easily they can be done, whether connection parts are interchangeable, how the mix of copper (for we of the peasantry) and fibre (for those willing to pay for it) ... will play out in the nodes.

There's the pipeline thingie. I mean, just suppose ... suppose that I live in Ritchie Rich's neighbourhood and everybody else gets fibre ... will the pipeline to the node be sufficient for their needs. And given the proportion of that pipeline capability a pathetic copper connection will be entitled to, what will I, as a copper subscriber, actually get?

And that's not even touching on the economics, projected bandwidth (growth) requirements in the next 10 years, the need for serious rather than token asynchronous performance improvements (unless the government envisages us to be the consumers rather than producers of content ... in which case, obviously, they could simply scrap any upload capability at all), the pathetic 25Mbs guarantee ... which is no longer a guarantee ... but the government is gonna make these node thingies work if it kills them, and a host of other questions ...

Yeah .... there's a heap of questions that I still have about the FttN architecture. Obviously the builders and operators are in the same boat.

Just my 2 cents worth ...
---