[LINK] Remember the power to the nodes issue?

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Mon Jul 14 09:20:25 AEST 2014

On 12/07/14 19:40, Jan Whitaker wrote:
> It's finally dawned on someone and they have yet to solve it. Nine
> months. ZERO connections to FTTN. ...

Perhaps the NBN Nodes could be solar powered, or by light sent down the
fibre? ;-)

More seriously, power was not an issue for the Transact FTTN system in
Canberra. The data cables were mostly run along power poles, by the
local power company and so power was readily available.

The Transact node in the basement of my apartment block is located in a
telecommunications closet designed into the building, with power
supplied by the building (I assume the body corporate is paying for the
power): http://www.tomw.net.au/links/20020501.html

On 12/07/14 21:05, Frank O'Connor wrote:

> ... issues that haven't even been looked at with respect to those
> pesky nodes ... maintenance ... traffic/disaster  ...

The Transact Nodes appear to have worked reliably for ten years. Part of
the network was destroyed in the 2003 Canberra fire storm. Some nodes
lost mains power and their battery backup ran out after 12 hours, but
the main problem was that the overhead cable was vulnerable to fire. The
rest of the network continued to operate (the Internet connection to my
apartment kept working):
http://mailman.anu.edu.au/pipermail/link/2003-January/047598.html

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/