[LINK] Remember the power to the nodes issue?

Frank O'Connor francisoconnor3 at bigpond.com
Mon Jul 14 10:42:20 AEST 2014

Loved this at the Guardian, in reply to an article in which Rupert Murdoch again trashed the NBN:

"Out here in Ust-Kamenogorsk in far east Kazakhstan, the government is putting in FTTP all across our city, old and new buildings alike, expanding to other cities and regions in Kazakhstan as they go.
Whilst our pipe to the outside world may be small, the upload and download speeds (100/100) I have here are far faster than what I had in Darling Point in Sydney.

I guess because a lot of our buildings here are pre-fab apartment blocks, some dating from the Soviet-era, makes it easier to install. The installers just come in, drill a hole between each landing floor and install a box and fibre goes to the apartment on each side.

But I guess because the various tentacles of Murdoch wouldn't get a cut, that sort of simplicity won't fly in Australia ..."

So, Kazakhstan gets FttP at 100Mbs or better ... but Australia can't get a 25Mbs guaranteed network out of 'Mr Broadband'.

Says it all really.           :)
---