[LINK] Implementing the National Technologies Curriculum in Australian Schools

Tom Worthington Tom.Worthington at tomw.net.au
Fri May 2 09:56:22 AEST 2014

Greetings from the University of Canberra, where I am taking part in a
two day workshop to help implement the new "Australian Curriculum:
Technologies" in Canberra's schools:
http://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/technologies/rationale-aims/technologies

This event, "Byte Sized Digital Technologies", is run by Information
Technology Educators ACT (InTEACT):
http://www.inteact.act.edu.au/cs4hs/byte-sized-digital-technologies

It is sponsored by Google and appropriately enough, the agenda is on
Google Docs. The consultation on the curriculum was run by  "Australian
Curriculum Assessment and Reporting Authority" (ACRA):
http://www.acara.edu.au/technologies.html

The Technologies Australian Curriculum covers both Design and
Technologies (using the technology) and Digital Technologies (creating
the technology, including computer programming). Interesting the student
are educated in a number of areas which up to know have only been
covered in advanced university courses: Project Management, Design
thinking, Computational Thinking and Systems Thinking.

Implementing this curriculum is an extremely challenging task. Before
teachers can teach the material, they need to learn it themselves. One
approach I suggest would be useful would be to provide online learning,
for the teachers and the students. It makes little sense to me to teach
digital technology using analogue teaching techniques. At the same time
the teachers can be connected together online to support each other and
they can teach the students how to also support each other online. The
University of Adelaide are running a free online course "Digital
Technologies: Implementing the Australian Curriculum Learning Area":
https://csdigitaltech.appspot.com/preview

More at:
http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/2014/05/implementing-national-technologies.html

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/