[LINK] Telstra WiFi Network

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Wed May 28 08:26:10 AEST 2014

On 26/05/14 22:17, Glen Turner wrote:
> ... Telstra seem to be spending a large amount of money ...

Telstra's WiFi network may not cost them much. Telstra will
be getting their customers to pay for the special WiFi equipped routers,
required to allow bandwidth to be shared between the customer who has
the unit in their home and others.

Also Sri Lanka Telecom have announced ‘carrier-grade’ public Wi-Fi hotspots:
http://www.nation.lk/edition/biz-news/item/29513-slt-%E2%80%98carrier-grade%E2%80%99-public-wi-fi-hotspots-to-revolutionize-mobile-computing.html

Hopefully this will be faster than the WiFi I used in Sri Lanka, which
was very sloooow. At one guest house the WiFi was not working at all, so
the staff handed me the router and suggested I take it back to my room
and see if I could get it to work. This was a small device with a USB
dongle plugged in, to connect to a 3G network:
http://blog.tomw.net.au/2013/05/telecommunications-for-traveling-in.html

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/