[LINK] Telstra WiFi Network

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Wed May 28 08:29:03 AEST 2014

On 26/05/14 22:17, Glen Turner wrote:
> ... Telstra seem to be spending a large amount
> of money ...

Telstra's WiFi network may not cost them much, if anything. Telstra will
be selling their customers special WiFi equipped routers, for what
seems, to me, to be a premium price ($200).

The routers will not have any special hardware in them, just some extra
firmware, to allow the bandwidth to be shared between the customer who
has the unit in their home and others. So Telstra are getting their
customers to pay the capital cost of providing WiFi to the neighbours.

Sri Lanka Telecom have announced ‘carrier-grade’ public Wi-Fi hotspots:
http://www.nation.lk/edition/biz-news/item/29513-slt-%E2%80%98carrier-grade%E2%80%99-public-wi-fi-hotspots-to-revolutionize-mobile-computing.html

Hopefully this will be quicker than the WiFi I used in Sri Lanka, which
was very sloooow. At one guest house the WiFi was not working and so the
staff handed me the router, suggested I take it back to my room and see
if I could get it to work. This was a small device with a USB dongle
plugged in, to connect to a 3G network:
http://blog.tomw.net.au/2013/05/telecommunications-for-traveling-in.html

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/