[LINK] Google's harvesting algorithms

Rick Welykochy rick at vitendo.ca
Tue Oct 28 08:59:31 AEDT 2014

Stephen Loosley wrote:
> Say goodbye to the unmediated world of RSS, email and manual Web surfing. It was nice while it lasted. But there's just no money in it.
No plans here to say bye bye to email. I still eschew social media and boards as a primary
way to contact friends and colleagues, insisting that they can contact me via tried and true
email. One place to check for communications. That's my ideal.

I pay a small fee ($34/yr) for a private email provider in Canada to manage my own
email accounts, both for business and private. A small price to pay for total control of my
"dump pipe." I wouldn't have it any other way. The alternative of running my own (Linux)
is just too much work these days. Something nice to have for hobbyists, I suppose. But not
for me.

Every private email provider (i.e. mail delivered to your cyber door via S-POP/IMAP and
sent with S-SMTP) that I have used also provides a web interface in case I can only access
email in that manner. It just works. Reliably. No fuss. No ads. No intermediation.
That's also my ideal.

Also, the small fee to maintain my domain name VITENDO.CA is well worth it. It serves
as a personalised email domain and if I need to put up a server (i.e. something "in the cloud")
the domain is ready to handle that task, all under my control.

I know quite a few people who have accumulated years of business and personal email on a
Big Data service like Gmail or Hotmail, erm Outlook. Quite frankly, a frightening prospect.
How on earth do they search and archive and save email comms for future reference years
down the track? How do they maintain their privacy and confidentiality of their ID (real world
and cyber)? Do they even realise what they are giving away for a "free" email service, when
they themselves have become the product? Certainly not my ideal.

cheers
rickw

--
Rick Welykochy || Vitendo Consulting

I've had a perfectly wonderful evening.  But this wasn't it.
     -- Groucho Marx