[LINK] Google's harvesting algorithms

JanW jwhit at internode.on.net
Tue Oct 28 09:14:09 AEDT 2014

At 08:59 AM 28/10/2014, Rick Welykochy you wrote:
>I know quite a few people who have accumulated years of business and personal email on a
>Big Data service like Gmail or Hotmail, erm Outlook. Quite frankly, a frightening prospect.
>How on earth do they search and archive and save email comms for future reference years
>down the track? How do they maintain their privacy and confidentiality of their ID (real world
>and cyber)? Do they even realise what they are giving away for a "free" email service, when
>they themselves have become the product? Certainly not my ideal.

There are some demographics are work here, too. Just a short story. Last week at a computer workshop I found myself trying to explain the various components of an email ecology: post 'office', email program, access channels, etc. I resorted to a blue car (his laptop), a red car (his desktop at home) and a real post office, with each car able to go collect the mail at the po box. Only in this case, taking only a copy with his blue car.

This man is borderline dementia, so I know it's a lost cause. We'll have this conversation a few more times yet. Already have. To talk about any risk involved is useless. He was more concerned that the pretty pictures for his Australian Ballet newsletters no longer appeared because we moved his stored emails (presumably html that stored the images separately from the actual mail file). In his mind, because the pictures were missing, the rest of the text that DID appear in the messages was useless. ::sigh::

There was much more to this around Windows Live Mail or Thunderbird or Gmail or Webmail on laptops and desktops -- it was all just too much. I suggested he just stick with webmail on his laptop for whenever he really really really needed to access with that because his normal behaviour was still to use his desktop system at home.

We may be at the point of too many choices.

Jan

"Lost Anchors" - Now available on Amazon in both print and Kindle versions.
Print: http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Anchors-J-Kirsten/dp/1502541556/
Ebook : <http://mybook.to/lostanchors>myBook.to/lostanchors

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
jwhit at janwhitaker.com
Twitter: <https://twitter.com/JL_Whitaker>JL_Whitaker
Blog: www.janwhitaker.com

<https://www.amazon.com/author/jlwhitaker>JL Whitaker
"On A Life's Edge" -
US Amazon print and digital http://viewBook.at/OALEdge
Apple iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/au/book/on-a-lifes-edge/id893736824?mt=11

Sooner or later, I hate to break it to you, you're gonna die, so how do you fill in the space between here and there? It's yours. Seize your space.
~Margaret Atwood, writer