[LINK] web: Higher divorce fee remains for online applications

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Fri Aug 14 10:44:19 AEST 2015

On 12/08/15 20:02, Jan Whitaker wrote:
> Another case of IT incompetence. Can you believe this?
>
> http://www.theage.com.au/national/online-divorce-applications-will-continue-to-cost-more-than-paper-applications-20150812-gixrv9.html
>
>"...  there will be a period where the higher fee will be charged, but
> only on the Commonwealth Court's  portal," she said. "This is due to the
> time it takes to implement,  test and deliver this change into our
> online environment."

No, it is not credible that changing the fee in the on-line system would
take longer than with the paper based system. Nor is it credible that a
court spokesperson would honestly believe this to be the case.

I am not a lawyer, but it also seems unlikely that it would be legal to
discriminate against people making an on-line application (particularly
people who are unable to use a paper application, due to a disability).

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/