[LINK] NBN Malcolm style

Frank O'Connor francisoconnor3 at bigpond.com
Sun Jan 25 11:19:22 AEDT 2015

Mmmm,

Makes just about as much technical sense as the MTM design does.

I can see the design meeting now: "OK, we need to design a multi-technology rather than single technology network with as many possible points of failure as possible. 60-80,000 possible points of failure ... lets call them ‘nodes’ … would be great for a start … the rest we can make up from the copper bits that fail with monotonous regularity even now. Under no circumstances do we test the design in real world conditions. It’s got to be maintenance and repair intensive, and to connect to a last yard which will make its performance comparable with the network it is replacing. After all, our Estimates people are quite sure that Australians will need no more than 15Mbs in 10 years time. The client end of the network must have comparatively humungous power requirements, and huge copper replacement costs built in. The cost of upgrading it to a serious 21st century network has be at least twice the build cost, and the build cost for the already obsolete network has to be so astronomical that everybody at this table will be remembered as White Elephant Creators Extroadinaire. Oh, and no matter what happens … we don’t listen to network experts, we don’t monitor the far more scalable, powerful and capable networks that have already been installed overseas, or are in the process of being installed, and we all spout phrases like ‘World’s Best Practice’ any time we are questioned about it. Our leader, Mr Broadband, has spoken."

Just my 2 cents worth …
---