[LINK] Aussie Cyber Warfare

Tom Worthington tom.worthington at tomw.net.au
Thu Jan 29 19:07:53 AEDT 2015

On 28/01/15 22:07, Stephen Loosley wrote:
> Quoting: http://www.afr.com/p/technology/australia_launches_cyber_weapons_hR1B30qv3c6bYKJvquVzoO
> Australian Cyber Offensive ...
>
> ... more than a decade we have been building an offensive
> "computer network attack" (CNA) capability inside the Australian
> Signals Directorate (ASD) ...

Greetings from the Australian National University in Canberra, where
Professor Amin Saikal just said that the USA alone cannot defeat Islamic
State with air-strikes:
http://blog.tomw.net.au/2015/01/usa-alone-cannot-defeat-islamic-state.html

Cyberwarfare would seem preferable to dropping bombs. I don't know about
ASD (and if I did know I couldn't tell you), but Northrop Grumman built
a "Cyber Range" for ADFA/UNSW Canberra:
http://blog.tomw.net.au/2013/03/cloud-computing-at-northrop-grumman.html

A "Cyber Range" is the equivalent of a bomb range, for testing cyber
weapons. The stated purpose of the ADFA one is training and research.
But if you wanted to test an offensive cyber warfare capability for the
Australian Defence Force, such a facility would be useful.

Also all undergraduates at UNSWC are to be trained in cyber security,
commencing this year:
http://blog.tomw.net.au/2014/09/cyber-security-training-for-all-new.html

UNSWC also has a "Australian Centre for Cyber Security" (ACCS):
http://www.accs.unsw.adfa.edu.au/

--
Tom Worthington FACS CP, TomW Communications Pty Ltd. t: 0419496150
The Higher Education Whisperer http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/

Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Research School of Computer Science,
Australian National University http://cs.anu.edu.au/courses/COMP7310/