[LINK] NSW Transport for Internet Explorer only

Frank O'Connor francisoconnor3 at bigpond.com
Thu Jul 2 13:34:52 AEST 2015

Mmmm … the use of platform specific binaries and browser extensions sort of defeats the idea of a ubiquitous open standards network, doesn’t it?

It’s almost as if these bureaucrats and government departments don’t realise that the era of the closed proprietary network has passed them by, and that they can’t specify the hardware or software requirements that must be adopted by their external users (the taxpayers who pay - through-the-nose in most cases - for these useless systems) so that they can provide a ‘service’. (I’d also argue that the ‘services’ they offer tend to be more along the lines of “You do our data entry and run through the hoops for all our requirements … and we’ll give you the same average service and service delivery that we gave you when it was done with paper forms.” In other words, there isn’t a hell of a lot of incentive for the average punter to even think about using their technology.)

Back to the topic … I was once advised by a government department that I would have to downgrade my operating system to an earlier (and less secure) version and use an effectively obsolete browser if I wanted to make use of their services. (I can’t remember what I told the bloke who specified that, but I’m pretty sure it was unpleasant.)

The bottom line is that it isn’t rocket science  to do business on the Web in a platform and browser agnostic manner, and the rest of the world is doing it with very few problems. But these incompetents, and government in Australian generally, seems to have no idea how to do so.

Just my 2 cents worth …
---