[LINK] NSW Transport for Internet Explorer only

David Lochrin dlochrin at d2.net.au
Thu Jul 2 22:39:38 AEST 2015

On 2015-07-02 12:48 Linda Rouse wrote:

> Well, it's a while since a government agency restricted users to a particular browser but the new Transport Equip portal for TfNSW has done just this with their new supplier portal: [...]

I've previously aired in this forum the issue of ABC's decision to restrict iView so that Linux users must run the Chrome browser or do without.  Adobe stopped supporting Flash on Linux as of V11.2, except for security updates I believe.  Microsoft & Apple users can run IE or Safari, respectively, or Firefox, doubtless due to those browsers' widespread usage.

I gather the root cause is that Adobe have climbed into bed with Google so Flash updates are now only available subject to Google's commercial decisions.

However I'm pleased to report that SBS' revamped on-demand website  - http://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/article/13 - /does/ support Flash 11.2 whereas the ABC always seems to display a misleading message stating the item is "unavailable".  ABC radio also uses Flash, which is surely inappropriate for a radio station when the sound depends on it (no Flash, no sound), but at least it still works.

What might be the result of a formal complaint to the ACA?  Is it a waste of time?

Do Linkers consider there exists a public-domain standard protocol with available open-source clients which would provide an acceptable alternative and serve to dispel any impression that the publicly funded broadcaster has entered into a restrictive agreement with Google, of all companies?

David L.